A blog on food, cooking, yoga, running, and life!

Friday, May 6, 2011

These boots were made for walkin'

Yes indeed.  These boots were made for walking.  I've got a fine pair of Lucchese boots, from the 1883 series, that are as spectacular as they are comfortable.  And they have been walking!  Nearly three weeks since the accident and I am on my feet again, walking as I once did before I skied into a tree.  How grateful I am for the opportunity to be doing something so simple as walking.  This action takes me back to my days as a toddler, when I stood up and began this motion for the first time.  While I can't quite recall the exact feeling from those early days, I can accurately portray what went through my body and mind when I took my first few steps on Wednesday.

When I heard the words uttered from the doctors mouth on Wednesday morning, I wanted to jump up and hug him for allowing me to begin walking.  The handshake and the smile sufficed, needless to say I was elated with the news.  I waited until I returned to the comfort of my home, to give it a try, a place that nurtured me throughout my recovery.  The first few steps were very similar to the feeling one might have stepping onto solid ground after being on a boat for an extended period of time, such as a week or two.  I felt dizzy and ecstatic at the same time.  My body remembered how to walk fairly easily, although not without a uneven step and a significant limp.  I didn't care one bit about my style as the sensation of walking was absolutely thrilling!  All of these progressions I have been experiencing lately are adding to my already heightened sense of being.  I am returning to a place of wholeness through my dedication towards healing.  What a glorious place to be living life from, especially as I now begin to feel complete.

Being able to walk once again has opened up even more avenues of things and activities that I can do.  The crutches were such a huge step up from being in the wheelchair.  Now that my arms are free to carry things, its like I am reaching a magnificent pinnacle of healing.  Just today I cleaned out my car, walking back and forth like a normal person might do, such a simple yet rewarding task to be able to execute.  There are other monumental achievements, although I figured the car cleaning would get the first honorable mention.

My hips are a little sore, no doubt about it, as are my muscles that have not been used for 2 months and 3 weeks.  I'm still honoring my body and taking the recovery process very slow, with patience and humility.  My pace while walking can be described as gingerly and cautious, with a touch of hesitancy.  I doubt that will last long, though, as my confidence builds so does my desire to strengthen my legs and return to a familiar cadence.  I'm content, for now, to slowly ease back into the simple idea of taking things one step at a time.

Today was the first day I embarked on a journey on the lake.  Walking down the 180 plus stairs to get to the dock, with crutches, and a kayak paddle in hand, was as cumbersome as it was invigorating.  The evening sunlight was beaming brilliant strokes of color; like a masterpiece painted on the canvas of life, the art of the moment was beckoning for me to play my part in the picture.  The lake was quiet with a still reflection of the surrounding mountains.  As the clouds partially obscured the sublime color of the sunset, a blessed feeling drenched my core.  I found myself paddling in the kayak once again with sheer exuberance and total delight.  The way the water ripples the surface of the reflection is a pleasure to witness, as well as create, the tiny waves that move with unbounded grace.  The entire experience was absolutely phenomenal.  The feeling is on the verge of indescribable, the closest I can come to translating it is true love.

And this love is growing like a golden light that glows on the mountain tops at sunset, essentially illuminating everything it comes into contact with.  Its hard not to notice the marvelous effect this light has on all that it touches.  This light of love is as pure as it is golden, nourishing life and re-enforcing purpose.  Its our smiles that salute the presence of such wonderful energy.  To be immersed in this heavenly light is to know what it means to enjoy the moment and value it for all that it is worth.  The light will occasionally call us from the depths of routine to break up old patterns, habits, and ways of living life, reminding us that treasures are available to us in each and every moment.  Sometimes it takes a brush of beauty for us to recognize the sheer magnificence of this permeating love. 

And so it goes with an evening kayak paddle on a mirror of life, in the form of water, reflecting the meaning of intention, exemplifying the harmony of being.  The upcoming week will be full of productivity in the cooking realm, so a healthy dose of what it all means is always both welcome and refreshing.  I'll be traveling to Billings, MT, for a food and wine festival.  I'll be competing in an Iron Chef competition, as well as performing a four-course cooking class for a bunch of participants.  Should be fun, as well as challenging, since I'll likely be shifting between crutches and walking.  I'll have some help coming with me, how much I'll be able to produce remains to be seen.  I

The week will include some fly fishing too!  Between walking, kayaking, and fly fishing, I feel as if my the puzzle of my life is being put together.  With the support and guidance of love, the pieces seemingly fall in place naturally.  I'll be returning to Polson this Sunday for the three hour Anusara class and this time I'll be on my mat ready to practice asana like I've yet to be able to, with vigor and grace.  Last Sunday I attended an amazing event at the Walking Lightly Ranch, a yoga class followed by a community dinner.  What a sensational property and gorgeous setting, not to mention a fantastic idea, to incorporate an auspicious occasion.  The meals, all vegan and mostly raw, are prepared by one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, let alone spent time with.  Depending on my energy level and the strength of my body, I hope to attend this Sunday also and immerse in this occasion again.

It'll take more than my fancy boots to keep me upright, with all of that yoga, as we'll be departing for Billings early Monday morning.  Whatever happens, I'll be starting the journey of 1,000 miles with one single step.  I hope you are right there with me.  I love you all!  Many thanks, as always, for reading.  It brings joy to my heart and a tear to my eye to be able to share my experience, my ongoing recovery, and my life with you.
Namaste...

3 comments:

  1. Yahoo! You rock. I am sad to miss your return to YogaHeart, but know I am there in spirit. Can not wait to be on the mat next to you soon. We are out of town spending Mother's Day with my Daughter and Son-in-Law. A great way to spend this special day. Have a wonderful walk and save a Crow to Chatarunga for me. Many many hugs, love Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andino,
    It's great to hear that your back on your feet! I've been keeping up with your blog and it always helps me to come back to a good perspective on life and I wanted to thank you for that.

    Here's to keeping the zest of life in your soul and having it shine outwards.

    Miss you bro,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news....keep the focus inward and upwards!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete