A blog on food, cooking, yoga, running, and life!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hey Pocky Way

For those who understand, this title needs no explanation.  For those who are unfamiliar, I encourage you to visit New Orleans and do the "slow boogie roll."  "Hey Pocky Way" is a song so entwined with New Orleans music, its like the Shrimp Po-Boy of songs.  It would be nearly impossible to spend any amount of time in NOLA without hearing this song at some point during your visit or stay in the crescent city.  Having just spent a fabulous weekend in New Orleans, watching the original Meters play this infamous song, rekindles the spirit of the experience.

The Meters are one of the most influential funk bands in America.  I had the splendid opportunity to witness yet another reunion, this time at the Voodoo Music Festival, held at City Park in New Orleans.  I could not believe the utter magic of this occasion, mainly since only a few hundred lucky folks were there to witness and experience the performance.  The legends on stage reminded us all of why they are indeed the "uptown rulers" who changed New Orleans music forever.  "Cissy Strut" will likely be the song that carries on the legacy of New Orleans funk until the end of time.

So, here I sit, inside the Miami airport, deep inside the throngs of a long layover.  I have been here since 8am this morning, it is now 6:25pm, and I will be boarding a flight to Barcelona in just a little over an hour.  My day has been spent inside this transportation warehouse.  I would not recommend this long of a layover, particularly after staying up all night (after all, it was Halloween in NOLA last night) and trying to sleep on the airport floor.  Its a interesting predicament I have chosen, and in this moment I am content with my decision to enjoy the Halloween festivities of the previous night (more on that later).  For now, this airport seems to suck up my money like a change machine at a car wash when the vehicle is dirty both inside and out.  Everything is expensive in this airport and nothing is really that good.  At least I've had the internet at my fingertips to give me access to information, as well as deliver these wonderful stories to my blog.

I am thrilled to be sitting here anticipating a flight to Barcelona, although the excitement has subsided somewhat.  I'm in the middle of a journey where I am visiting some of my favorite places, mainly New Orleans, Barcelona, Paris, and parts of Montana and Colorado.  There are deep connections my spirit holds with these hallowed grounds I like to frequent.  Something calls me to these places, and something makes me feel so at home when I am able to spend time in these places.  What I find most fascinating is how easily things seem to fall into place in these various places.  Trust is essential to molding into each moment with relative ease, allowing the travels to unfold naturally and spontaneously.  Having bearings also helps aid this cause of letting go, for it is easy to roam when one has an idea of where they are, more or less.

At any rate I just spent four days in New Orleans, a place I still call home.  I got the chance to experience a John Friend Anusara yoga workshop on Oct 29th and 30th, honoring the end of the year cycle and the beginning of a new year.  To put this experience into words is both difficult and daunting.  I will attempt to share some of it with you.  My yoga practice began in Louisiana, as did my desire to lean towards a more spiritual path of understanding my being.  To be able to return to a place where my journey began, time and time again, has allowed me to measure my progress and review my efforts over time.  This measurement has no judgement, no motives, no plans.  It is remarkable to reflect on what has been attempted as well as achieved.  And to culminate the moments to a pinnacle experience with John Friend had my inner being blown wide open with love and devotion.  I drank from the cup of shakti that filled the air with incredible nourishment.  My body and spirit opened to forces and currents that flow through me with steady grace.  All from aligning to an ancient practice of yoga, and a systematic process of recognizing how our attitude, our thoughts, and our minds shape not only who we are, but who we think we are and what we think we can or can not do.  Possibility is paramount on this road of self discovery.

I'm not sure if I eluded much of what I experienced in the previous paragraph, so let me just say there was a significant paradigm shift within my core.  Before New Orleans was a few days in Boulder, Colorado, where I was able to practice with Jeanie Manchester, one of my favorite teachers of Anusara yoga.  I was also fortunate enough to practice meditation with her, and I was surprised to hear she too had received an initiation with Paul Muller-Ortega earlier in the year.  I feel so very blessed to be able to experience the wonders of life with such incredible teachers, as well as share my own experience with so many beautiful people I cross paths with on my travels throughout the U.S. and abroad.

Since this blog is primarily intended for cooking, running, yoga, and whatever else I like to throw in the mix, I'll try and stay on subject.  Prior to heading out into the streets of Frenchmen and the Quarter to view the crazy Halloween costumes, I enjoyed a delightful day of eating in NOLA.  Lunch at Charlie's Seafoods in Harahan with Frank and Marna Brigtsen (soft shell crabs, gumbo, potato salad, and cole slaw, yum!), now my favorite lunch spot in the Greater New Orleans area.  This was followed by a lazy afternoon and a delightful evening at Susan Spicer's new Restaurant called Mondo.  We had chicken liver pate, beef tartare, braised rabbit, smoked chicken, and artichoke/oyster gratin, just to name a few.  A great dining experience in the company of good friends.  Food was outstanding, service was okay, and the value for price paid was very good.  We left feeling charmed and fulfilled for the festive evening.

It was 4am when I hopped into a cab and headed back to where I was staying, in order to change out of my Halloween costume and head to the airport.  Pretty smooth transition all in all, although I was definitely one of only a few who decided to stay up all night and hop on an early morning flight.  Its getting easier over the years, to just be comfortable in who I am and the decisions I make, no matter what state of mind or situation I find myself in.  There is a certain steadiness with me lately, largely in thanks to the yoga practice, as well as, how I choose to spend my time now.

Fly fishing for several weeks on Montana's prized blue ribbon trout streams helps to keep that steadiness intact, especially when frolicking in the majestic mountains and chasing the wily trout.  Beauty and love can be admired, yet not gripped or possessed.  Surely this is the practice of fly fishing, of catching love and letting it go, admiring beauty and honoring the moment.  Sometimes beauty presents itself in the most unlikely circumstances, such as it is with catching fish.  I learn more about life from fly fishing than I'd ever dream I would.  It is part of what keeps me coming back to the river, wading a stick, hoping the rod will bend.

I am back in the groove of running again, here and there, loving the freedom the feet on pavement provides. Before departing from Whitefish for this recent adventure, I completed a two and a half mile run in the grand spectrum of brilliant fall colors along the lake I live above.  I can still taste the air and smell the freshness of that day, the feeling of the cool breeze, the sparkle of the golden sun, all permeate my being and filling my face with a smile.  I did not bring my running shoes with me to Europe, but I did bring my dancing shoes- so that will have to suffice for now.

I'm about out of time with this post, and there is more to tell, so I will cut this post a little shorter than desired.  This weekend reminded me how much I love all of you in my life.  How blessed I am to share this adventure with you.  How amazed at the experiences I get to immerse in year after year.  How absolutely perfect things can be, as they are, as they will be.  I draw my hands together in front of my heart, and bow to all of you, all of the experiences, all of the love.  Thank you for being in my life and being a part of my journey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment