A blog on food, cooking, yoga, running, and life!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Spring inside perception

Spring has arrived here in Northwest Montana and brought about a fresh new perspective.  With new growth all around, it reminds us that we are all budding with possibility this time of year.  Its time for us to cultivate the seeds we have planted this winter; that is, of course, the ones we choose to nurture and grow.  The long bright days allow even more opportunity to enjoy the light and seize the day.  The return of color has painted the landscape allowing for splendid views and green hillsides and blue skies.  The lake has finally melted and now the water glimmers from rays of the sunshine, a dazzling jewel of a sight.  Ah yes, welcome spring, its really wonderful to see you again.

The thawing of the lake was a magnificent process to witness.  As long as I've lived here, I have yet to be present for the entire process of when it thaws.  This is about a week long ordeal to watch, and the shifts that transpire are fascinating.  Once the ice begins to crack, creating fault like lines across the frozen lake, the water is revealed as it awakens from the winter slumber.  Next are the huge icebergs that resemble a mirage of glacial mass moving ever so slowly across the lake, with a very spotted like surface from all the varying thickness of the ice.  One evening the sunset lit up the water in between the icebergs while dusting the ice itself with an orange hue.  It reminded me of those push pops you get from the ice cream man, so delicious! 

The porch has provided such a wonderful perspective lately.  As if I need any reminders about how beautiful Montana is, yesterday a bald eagle flew by at eye level and circled down to the lake.  I chuckled in amusement at how I was able to see this from my porch.  There is also beaming sunshine, providing incredible warmth, that I love basking in every chance I get.  Equally fun is closing the eyes while the sun is shining brightly, then barely opening them allowing for the moisture from the eyelids to create rainbows.  This has probably become one of my favorite pastimes.  Sometimes while sitting in the sun, I feel the warmth of my heart and imagine that the heart shines very similarly like the sun, outwards an all directions.

Lately I have been venturing even further from the porch.  Its simply astounding how quickly perspective can change by moving a mere 15 or 20 feet.  This helps me recognize that no matter how difficult things may seem, a clearer perspective is just a few steps away.   There is always a new opportunity that exists, it just takes us to realize this to make it available.  So many perceptions to ponder; such as, more than just bones fracture in traumatic situations.  And our world is filled with different traumas, some physical, some mental.  Our views and perspectives can quickly become jaded from even a traumatic mental injury, especially one that is reoccurring over years, from an assault of agenda, whether it be someone, something, or some cause, or even political, righteous, or self inflicting, all leading to potential for a fractured mind that will eventually need time to heal.  Our society seems filled with people who have fractured minds.  Its a good time, right now, to focus on healing.

I went to the doctor last Monday.  I was hoping for the superstar news of him saying how wonderful everything looked and I could go ahead and start leaping out of his office with joy.  Actually I was just hoping he would give me clearance to walk.  I got half of what I hoped for, since I'm able to use crutches now for the left leg.  It'll be another three to four weeks before I will bear weight on the right side.  The news about my right leg resulted in my expectations to be disappointed, yet again. Funny how these expectations tend to set up only to be knocked down; and like a little kid bowling, we continue to re-set the pins each time to keep the game going.  That same disappointment turns into motivation when we let it go and decide to move forward.

Anyway, back to crutches, yeah!  The house looks completely different standing up, its as if I am in a new place all of a sudden.  The crutches arrived yesterday and I took them for a test drive around the house.  Everything was great, I spent about 15 minutes on them before my leg decided that was enough.  Then I had a moment of vulnerability when I tried to sit back down in my wheelchair, and all of a sudden, for a brief second, I'm going backwards and the wheelchair was not there.  Thankfully the wheelchair was there, it had just moved enough for my arm to miss the handle and cause a mild panic.  None-the-less it reminded me that if I take a fall right now I am screwed.  So I am doing my best to honor the fact that my body is still healing and I'm allowing that to take place without any added stress. 

I am headed to a Anusara yoga workshop this weekend, with Jimmy Bernaert, a certified teacher from the Big Island of Hawaii, down in Pablo (just outside Polson).  I am pretty excited to be attending this workshop, even though I'll be chilling in the wheelchair.  Actually, I'm thrilled to be able to soak in the whole experience.  I attended the Polson three hour class last Sunday for the first time.  It was great crawling up and down the stairs, hanging out in the wheelchair and doing mostly restorative stuff the entire practice.  It was wonderful to be part of the community once again, especially this kula that reached out so deeply following the accident.  What a treat to be able to spend the weekend with everyone once again at Jimmy.  I'll be able to participate on a very minimal level- although I'll be visualizing some incredible poses during the parts that I'm not practicing asana.  Should be a great weekend!  Especially since now with crutches, I can actually pee standing up again!  It has been a while now since that has happened :)

May the new growth of Spring inspire you to cultivate seeds for whatever you wish, perceive, or imagine for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment