A blog on food, cooking, yoga, running, and life!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

There are some appointments you just can't miss

No matter what takes place in life, occasionally, there are appointments that you just can't miss.  Attending the Paul Muller-Ortega meditation workshop and initiation in Seattle, last weekend, was one of those appointments.  Naturally, the title of this blog post is a quote directly from him.  I had been looking forward to this occasion since last October when I had the chance to hear him speak at a weekend workshop in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.  To give you an idea of how profound the experience in Seattle was for me, well, I'll just say that what took place at the initiation and workshop made my accident seem like child's play.  That's about all I can say at this time.

Being in a wheelchair was certainly not going to stop me from attending this event.  In fact, it actually helped serve as motivation to make the trip happen. It seems that anyone who heard about my excursion to Seattle wanted to cast shadows of doubt about whether it was a good idea for me, since I still can't walk, to be driving nine hours.  Thankfully I had the assistance of two very good friends who accompanied me on the drive to Seattle, although I was on my own for the adventure back to Montana.  Getting out on the open road was a treat, especially with such good friends, as the scenery was magnificent.  Driving in the Northwest reminds me why I live in this beautiful part of the country, where splendid landscapes meet the vast and open skies of adventure. 

We began the trip with a quick stop at the healing waters of hot springs.  It had been five days since my previous visit to hot springs, and there was a noticeable difference in this short amount of time regarding how my body felt.  This set the tone for the rest of the journey, inviting a calming and relaxing feeling for the long drive.  I drove for the first 4 or 5 hours, then relinquished the duties to an experienced road tripper, none other than Mikey Howell.  Mikey and I have actually seen something like 28 Phish shows, traveling to each one together, so having him behind the wheel is like putting the car in auto pilot.

When we arrived at the Columbia River Gorge, we were graced with brilliant sunshine and warm weather. Welcome Spring!  A perfect place to take a break..


Aside from the workshop/initiation, Seattle itself was quite an experience.  Being in public, while remaining in a wheelchair, takes tremendous courage and perseverance.  Everywhere I went I suddenly became the elephant in the room, although it helped that I was comfortable with my situation and who I am.  There is a sense of accomplishment being handicapped and still living life to its fullest.  I have great compassion for those who spend their lives with disabilities.  

The nice thing about being in a wheelchair is that people go out of their way to accommodate you.  The annoying thing is that people tend to treat you like you are special or there is something wrong with you.  After so many experiences in the chair, the best advice I can provide for those who are unsure how to deal with someone in a wheelchair, specifically regarding conversation, is to treat them like a human being.  Talk to them openly, honestly, and with dignity.  Go ahead and ask them, if you are wondering, why they are in a wheelchair.  More than likely they will be happy to share their story with you.  Its interesting how people are affected by talking with someone in a wheelchair.  I have often heard comments such as this frequent one:  "Gosh, I thought I had problems in my life and then I look at your situation and you can't even walk!"  Yeah, it sort of puts things into perspective, doesn't it?  I don't mind, however, the affect it has on other people, nor their comments however petulant they can be.  I do enjoy crossing paths with those who have heard about my experience, or read this blog, and have thanked me for my contributions, as well as shared their experience with me about how inspiring I am to them.  These are the moments that fill me with gratitude and purpose.

Dining in Seattle was another highlight of the trip, mainly the two sushi outings and a trip to a James Beard Award finalist, Sitka & Spruce.  I had to use my name, so to speak, to secure a reservation as they were full when I called three days before to request Saturday night.  It is certainly a major perk to be a notable chef, particularly when I choose to dine out.  My entire Seattle experience was enhanced by good company, mainly a beautiful young woman, Lori Call, whom was gracious enough to allow me to stay at her and her brother's place.  Soaking in the hot tub each night while overlooking the hills of West Seattle was as enjoyable as the laughter and good times. 

The city is full of attractive people.  A vibrant energy seems to pulsate throughout Seattle.  I love visiting cities for this very reason.  I prefer to live in the majestic mountains of Montana, however, as the hustle and bustle does not appeal to me like the solitude and quietness does.  How wonderful it is to experience the best of the both worlds, mainly being able to return to a place of peace, comfort, and tranquility that I call home.

Montana is finally beginning to show signs of Spring.  The colorful array of sunshine and new growth is returning to light up the world, as are the long days.  The lake I live above is beginning to thaw out, even though a layer of ice still dominates the surface.  It will not be long before the water will reflect the rays of sunshine, shimmering and sparkling like precious jewels.  And I'll soon be kayaking through those reflections with the lake to myself, blissful occasions are on the horizon!

I am getting a little impatient now that my body is growing stronger each day.  I am ready to leave the wheelchair behind and start walking.  I am scheduled to see the doctor again on Monday for another round of x-rays.  I am hoping he will give the clearance and the go ahead to begin weight bearing.  I can already stand up even though I've been advised not to.  Of course, I had to test the waters to see if it was possible.  Driving back to Montana, on my own, felt like a huge conquest.  Pumping gas was a little challenging, as I had to use my walker to complete the task.  I met a dear friend, Kristin Hertz, at hot springs and we soaked for four straight hours.  My world seems to include lots of hot springs lately.  I'll likely be going back this week.

Thanks again for reading this blog.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  I leave you with a quote from Paul Muller-Ortega:  "We are all swimming in an ocean of our collective vibrations.  You with every action, every thought, with every impulse, affects everyone and everything else."

No comments:

Post a Comment