A blog on food, cooking, yoga, running, and life!

Friday, June 18, 2010

We are open!

Yes.  That is correct.  The Restaurant is open!  So come one, come all, just don't all come at the same time.  I'm not sure I've ever been this excited about opening for a new season.  Could it be all of this taking care of myself action that has enhanced how I feel about my roles and responsibilities?  Could it be? 

I'll let the spectators decide, since I've already made up my mind.  Remembering to take deep breaths and ground my feet below me, thoughts that surfaced throughout the opening night, is all I need to know when I think about the possibility of all this work I've been doing on myself impacting how I feel about a new season.  I can't describe how fulfilling it is to be back in the kitchen, my realm of productivity, this time with a renewed sense of passion.  I usually return from the off season feeling refreshed like a newly bathed plant after a rain storm, yet this time is different.  Its as if I've been bathed, massaged, consciously taken care of.  And now I feel my duty is to share this wonderful feeling of how I experience this new found elevated state of being with those people who are in my life (even employees!).

I've got a new pork belly dish that quite possibly is the best thing I've put in my mouth.  Picture the most magnificent fireworks display delighting the eyes, while laying in soft sand, the sounds of the ocean caressing the ears, and a lover held tightly in arms enjoying the moment.  I guess I've never had the pleasure of such an occasion (still waiting), even though it seems like it would be a fitting way to describe what happens when the pork belly explodes in the mouth.  Its love at first bite.  So, what makes it so special?  3 day brine, followed by 7 hour slow cooking process, Berkshire pigs, bed of sweet onions, cooked in pork fat, yummy!  But wait, there's so much more.  How about fresh watermelon, pureed until its just juice, reduced till syrupy, with a touch of rice wine vinegar, demi-glace, and honey.  Succulent at this stage, sweet as well, so add in some thinly sliced radishes tossed in a light vinaigrette, over Mache (greens), and black pepper grilled watermelon.  So basically what happens is the salty delight of the melt in your mouth pork belly combines with the texture of mache, gripped by the crispiness of shaved radishes and a compliment of the natural spicy finish of a radish, sweetened with the watermelon reduction, peppered by the black pepper grilled watermelon, and a combination of all this that will leave your mouth singing and dancing like a little child.  Its like zydeco meets hip-hop with a touch of classical genius.

Last night we did an appetizer party for 42 people at a spectacular home in Iron Horse (wealthy subdivision).  The home is probably worth a cool 5 million.  The people in attendance, combined, would be worth billions, considering the heavy-hitting display of wealth that was on hand.  It was actually an honor to be the showcase of the event, a sense of accomplishment for what I have been able to create while living here in Montana.  In fact, the number one comment from guests (besides the food was magnificent, everything is great, yadda, yadda) was "We are so lucky to have someone like you living here."  I've heard many, many compliments in my day.  That one seems to take the cake.  Honestly, I couldn't believe how many people actually said things like:  "The Valley is so lucky to have someone of your caliber and talent", or "We feel like we are dining in Europe when we eat your food."  I'm not trying to boast here as I certainly have nothing to prove- I'm sharing a glorious feeling of pursuing ones passions while being recognized for the accomplished balance of hard work and dedication.

On a far more humbling note, I went for a run the other morning.  This was the first time I'd done a morning run in a long while.  In hindsight, I certainly learned my lesson well.  The lesson was to eat, drink, and be energized prior to running!  I decided on a four mile loop.  I didn't feel the usual light sense of being that I have achieved with chi running.  I couldn't get my legs to relax.  My breath was a little out of whack, as was my ability to enjoy the run.  Lo and behold at mile 3 my left calf cramped up, like an alligator had cinched its teeth into my calf and would not let go.  I tried to stretch it out to no avail, I even had trouble walking the rest of the way.  It was such a beautiful morning also, the kind of day you dream about out here in beautiful Montana.  I made the most of the nice walk, yet I limped all the way home.  For the rest of the day I could barely walk, once again, with devastated calves (or calf).  I'm hoping to run again tomorrow, this time fully hydrated and energized.  I guess nutrition is important with all of this exercise I am doing!

Yoga has been consistent and I've been enjoying seeing the subtle progress my body is making.  The practice every day in June was going well until I got extremely busy.  Now I have missed four days, although I've made up for two of those days with double practices, I feel like six days a week is impressive enough.  Especially since I'm back on a 70 hour work week schedule.  Tonight I did a pranayama class and felt the divine nature of breathing life into my cells and celebrating the gift of life.  I love being breathed, I love controlling breath, and I love breathing in such a way that allows awareness to lead the way. 

So once again, we are open!  Let us all open our doors to embrace the grace that is always there and waiting to come inside, sit down, and enjoy what you have to offer.  Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment