A blog on food, cooking, yoga, running, and life!

Monday, June 28, 2010

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air

So much is happening now its almost hard to keep up.  Sleep is at a premium it seems.  I suppose if I ever have children to parent, aside from certain employees of course, these days will be preparing me for the challenges ahead.  I'm fully enveloped in a life of work, work, and more work.  Its like I went from one extreme to the other, from yoga and running to work, something that is all too familiar with me.  This swinging pendulum reminds me of an amusement park ride where the boat goes from one side to the other, suspended in air, gaining height with each swing until it feels like the ride will flip upside down.  Slowly the boat finds its way back to the middle.  And that dear friends, is what I am hoping will happen fairly soon, the middle part of course :)

The strange part about this is that I am seriously enjoying this ride.  I also recognize the temporary nature of my efforts right now, knowing that soon enough I will be able to go running again and develop a steady practice of yoga.  Since the Restaurant opened its doors I have run a total of zero miles and spent less than two hours on my mat.  Duty is most certainly calling right now regarding my life as a Chef/Owner.  Most of this has to do with being short staffed (surprise, surprise) despite the valley having one of the highest rates of unemployment in some time.  It was like we had our positions filled and then inevitably people fell through and now we find ourselves in another similar predicament.  Experience has helped me to remember the important thing to do during this time is to stay the course and maintain the level we strive so hard to achieve.  I've learned over the years how to do this for myself personally and how to translate this objective into motivation for the staff.  Both myself and the staff are interdependent on each other to not only be capable of consistency with our program but also to remain focused on offering the best of our abilities in any given moment.  I realize now the motivation of my staff directly relates to the success of the restaurant, my own personal health, and the ability to perform as a team.  One cannot exist without the other, and it takes constant reinforcement to remember how to fulfill our roles in the operation.

So it is through all of this I am walking on air.  Despite all of the hours working (and I'm not kidding when I say I am pulling 80 plus hours a week) and the challenges we are facing, I am just floating through it all.  Its not that its easy, or simple, its just that its predictable in the sense that I've seen these pitches time and time again and I just keep blasting the ball out of the park like the big league slugger I've become. 

Meanwhile, part of the reason for not running or doing yoga right now comes down to two simple words that captivates the entire planet- World Cup.  The beautiful game is in full swing and the pendulum loves to power back and forth within this realm also.  On Wednesday when the U.S. team scored the last minute goal to send them through to the next round, I experienced a moment I'll never forget- as long as I live.  Seems so long ago to think of that memory now, especially after yesterday's loss to Ghana knocked the U.S. out of the cup, although I will cherish the wondergoal for some time to come.  If you watched the entire game, and understood what this meant for U.S. soccer, then you can perhaps identify with what I am speaking about.  If you didn't, well, it probably doesn't mean much.  But to the millions who witnessed it live, to Wall Street slowing down by 30% after the 70th minute, to Capitol Hill and the roar, to the bars, homes, locations all over the world where a group of people gathered to connect around a simple game and a communal sport, it will live on forever as an epic moment that was timeless in its entirety both then and now. 

I've been catching at least a game a day, which means I usually sleep for 6 hours, watch the 8am game, nap for an hour, and head to work.  Noon to midnight seems to be my current schedule, seven days a week, sometimes arriving earlier in the day and departing later in the night .  Occasionally I'll get to work at 11am, work for an hour and a half, catch the second game from 12:30 to 2:15, and dive back into the grind for a while.  And I'm dishing out new menu items like a volunteer worker at a homeless shelter, steady making plates and handing them out, feeling really good about the work I am doing.  Not to mention the fundraising work we are doing, as the current total has now reached over $3,000 dollars for the St. Bernard Project, talk about walking on air!!

I did manage to go out for a full moon kayak adventure on the lake the other night.  I can't even begin to describe how incredible it was.  Since I love analogies, I will of course give a stab at describing the exprience.  The night was full of mystique as the water invited me to experience its calmness by motioning me to embark on a journey into the cool, dark air.  How did water motion me?  Well in a very round about way, it basically was just sitting there with this look that spoke to me.  The water is always there, but it doesn't always look at me the way it did, like a stranger who surely thinks they have met you before and is intrigued by your presence.  Curiosity took over and soon the water and I were best buddies.  The moon looked like a smoothly polished pearl while emanating light that danced fluidly on the surface of the water, as if the universe was illuminating my dreams in a waking state, a spectacular setting of dazzling delight.  A miraculous feeling engulfed my body and mind as a smile as big as the lake itself and my teeth began to reflect the moonlight back at the goddesses.  Each stroke of the paddle propelled me further into the void of true amazement as the only words that I could mutter at the time were "oh my god!"  It was as stunning as anything I'd ever seen before. 

Naturally there was nobody else on the lake, so I figured it was a grand time to deliver a concert to my good friend the water.  I sang loud and I sang soulfully, meanwhile the water continued to gently rock me, keeping me in tune and harmony, I was the baby and the lullaby.  How comforting it was to be in the middle of the lake, in the middle of the night, in the middle of my life, in the midst of a dream and waking life, somewhere in between the lines of safe and adventure, life and death, glory and resoluteness.  I got to keep on walking, to continue floating, moving forward..

No comments:

Post a Comment