A blog on food, cooking, yoga, running, and life!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

New Beginnings

The recent spell of brutally cold weather here in the Flathead Valley has altered quite a few courses.  Thankfully I am inside where it is warm and I am protected from the wind.  I've watched the wind blow with fierceness the past few days from a perched view in the hospital bed.  The look on many of the faces that come to visit me also tell the story of the bitter cold.  Temperatures were hovering in the really cold digits with a wind chill that was also really, really cold.  The actual numbers range considerably depending on who you spoke with, but lets just say wind chill factor in town was exceptionally frigid.  Apparently today was very cold too, although the wind was not as strong as the day before. 

Tonight I witnessed a gorgeous display of alpenglow with the entire Columbia range, in full view, wrapped in a spectrum of colors.  The last few days have been full of visitors and lots of wonderful activities.  My condition is certainly getting better with each passing day.  I am now able to sit up on my bed with relative ease, transfer to a walker, then to a wheelchair and I can move freely about from there.  There is a new found ease of execution at which I can perform these movements.  I am also able to sit up for much longer periods of time than previously.  All of the above has helped me tremendously, especially with all of the soreness and aching that has infiltrated my tailbone, lower back, and sitting bone areas, as it helps to get the blood flowing to different parts of the body.  The game for me now is to try and keep moving and shifting as much as possible.  It looks as though this will be the goal for the next few months.

The update on when I am going home is early-to-middle of next week.  There are some minor adjustments that need to take place and I may be looking or volunteers to assist with some of these activities, which include:  shoveling snow, installing shower bars, replacing shower head with a hand-held sprayer, and a few other minor projects.  If any of you are interested in performing any of the above this weekend, please give me a shout via email, telephone, facebook, etc.. 

Also to note is a calendar I will be creating for my time at home.  Many of you have been gracious enough to offer your help with whatever I need.  Well, I will be needing a lot of assistance as I move towards the home healing process.  The most important thing I will need is company, so I am creating a calendar that will allow you to sign up for various times of the day.  You will then be able to spend time with me and help with keeping me happy!  I will link this calendar to facebook and to my blog as soon as I get it created.  Thank you in advance for your help and assistance!  I certainly would not be feeling as good as I am if not for all of the wonderful love, energy, and support I have received from all of you :)

I can't elaborate enough on how good it feels to be back in Whitefish and North Valley Hospital.  From the comfortable surroundings, to the warm and friendly staff, the good variety of enjoyable food options, the extra care from the nurses, and the overall dedication to a philosophy that exudes from just about everyone I come into contact with.  Not only is everyone genuinely concerned about my health, but also more than happy to contribute whatever they can to assist with the healing process.  Its like having the wind at my back while riding a bike, encouraging me to keep going with relative ease while providing assistance with the process.

Time has a way of continuing on at a speed that is consistent and is absolutely fascinating to analyze.  I understand how the clock doesn't change pace, yet I am baffled by the clock's ability to remain constant despite the fluctuations that life interjects.  I like to watch the clock, hanging in the corner of my room, and actually time how long I spend doing certain activities.   Its like I have a microscope to really discover what I am doing with my time.  That said, I'm not sure I am in a position to elaborate what I have been doing with my time!  Its a strange phenomenon, really, documenting what one's day consists of and the time it takes to perform certain activities.

I can tell you that I have been playing several games of Scrabble, enjoying some good clean fun with friends.  There will be plenty more time available for some Scrabble, should any of you choose to get in on the action!  Another activity my day has been filled with is physical therapy.  I have been completing various exercises to keep my body moving and my muscles working, specifically those that have not been effected as much from the accident.  Its great to be peddling on a make shift bicycle, wheeling around the hallways in my wheelchair and terrorizing other patients, doing chair pushups, various stretches, leg exercises, and rowing motions.  All of these activities certainly break any stagnation that my body feels.  (I'm kidding about the terrorizing of other patients :)

I spoke earlier about the good food variety available here at the hospital.  On Wednesday I enjoyed sushi!  Yep, that's right, a couple of ahi tuna rolls, and some salmon rolls.  Talk about feeling normal again!  I have also enjoyed an asian stir fry, steak salads, lovely skillet breakfasts, and other exciting dishes, exceptional selections for being in a hospital.  Tonight my good friend's Peter and Kelly dropped by to offer some homemade raviolis and a delicious salad.  It was absolutely divine.  I have also been blessed with other wonderful homemade delights, like Randy Beach's tasty apple crisp and tamales, Elaine's vegan dessert dream, and a tasty brown rice stir fry from Jessica.  Many times people ask what they can bring prior to a visit.  I welcome any and all home cooked meals.  Free consultation provided by request only.

I also feel like quite the high profile guest here in the hospital.  Many of the administrative staff and the upper echelon crew have come to offer their best wishes.  The other day the CEO, Jason Spring, came in to check on me and ensure I was being taken care of.  He also thanked me for all of the kind words spoken on this blog about North Valley.  As well, he even mentioned they were considering changing a few systems based on some of the feedback I had given to one of the nurses regarding pain management.  All in all I feel like a very special guest and could not be happier given my current condition.

Even though yesterday (Thursday) was a great day, it came with a hefty price of situations.  To begin with, we had a wine dinner at the Restaurant to execute.  So without me or my sous chef there to participate, the back of the house had a significant challenge in front of them.  Preparing a seven course menu to be paired with wine is difficult enough.  Add to it the pipes freezing from the insanely cold weather, no water now available, and the situation was not looking good.  The fact that many of my staff members, particularly in the kitchen, have been working a lot more than usual, some of them on 10 or 12 day stretches, contributed even more to the stress.  When I heard about the pipes bursting in the mechanical room, horrific memories from the year before flooded my mind.  Thankfully the water was shut off immediately this time to negate any more damage being done.  None-the-less, we opted to cancel the wine dinner since we would be operating without water.  I think if I were there we would have made the event still happen and dealt with the difficulties, but given the circumstances and the knowledge of what my kitchen staff has already been through, we opted to shut it down and give everything and everybody a little break.  Tonight and this weekend will be very, very busy once again and we saw the importance of bringing everyone back a bit more refreshed.  With all that said, I am so proud of the job my staff is performing right now.   They have kept the operation maintained at the level we normally operate at while enduring the difficulties that continue to arise.  Something that is not easy to do and they deserve heaps of praise for staying the course.  This also marks one of my greatest achievements as a chef/owner.  Being able to consistently produce a quality dining experience at a high level is challenging enough when I am there, yet that is also to be expected.  The real truth lies in the ability of the Restaurant to continually execute, specifically if the chef is not present.  It not only signifies a fantastic staff, it reveals the true experience of how good the chef really is. 

My sous chef's, condition is finally known and a herniated disc is the culprit for all of the pain and discomfort he has been experiencing.  The bad news is this may require surgery, meaning that he will remain unavailable for the rest of the season.  My heart goes out to him as it is a very difficult time for him.  Life has a interesting way of dealing us hands we did not expect or ask for.  I'm thankful I can still recognize the hand that is dealt to me, and how to play accordingly.  I could never imagine the situation I am presently in, nor could I imagine it for my sous chef.  I can imagine, however, enjoying the game my soul is playing, while I work with my mind and body to develop a harmony that is conducive to staying in touch with spirit.  I can imagine this same dance is taking place for all of you on some deep level, whether you are aware or not, and those hands you are dealt become the catalyst for deciding on how to play them.  As in the words of the GD, "Sometimes, the cards aren't worth a dime, if you don't lay em down".

To keep with the exciting gross details of being in a hospital, especially while in the ICU, I would like to elaborate on the sensation of using a catheter.  To begin, this was probably one of the most feared ideas my mind has ever encountered.  I'm sure you are cringing right now if you are a guy.  If you don't know what a catheter is, google it, and be prepared to wince in pain.  In all actuality, however, the catheter is nothing to be afraid of.  Aside from an initial sting and temporary burn, there is relatively no pain or significant discomfort from having a catheter inserted into your body.  The other cool part of it is that you don't make an effort to pee, the catheter literally removes the urine right from your bladder.  In fact, I'll take a catheter any day of the week over a bandage removal in a tender spot.  I have been without a catheter for about a week now, and I most certainly prefer not having one in.  At any rate I thought I would clear the air about a understandably fearful medical necessity.

In reference to the thread title, there are new beginnings happening all around me.  Partially because my new room is located right next to the overflow for OB section.  So there are new babies, some of them introduced to this vast world merely hours before I hear their tender and innocent cries. I wonder what is going through their newborn minds.  'Confusion?  What happened to that wonderful warm place?'  I am enamored with the idea that new life is happening right next door to me.  I feel empowered with a sense of how much of an opportunity I have to begin anew, just like those precious babies.  I remember the concept of beginners mind and I am ready to slowly learn how to live fully once again.  My life and my purpose has always revolved around fulfillment, so there is no drastic change necessary.  What I imagine and intend is a stronger sense of balance between health, love, and community.

Lastly I will leave you with a poem I wrote to a friend on the same night that I had surgery.  This was probably the height of my drug induced consciousness.  It's interesting for me to read the blog knowing the various amounts of substances that were present throughout my recovery.  This poem gives a good look at the state of my "buzz" that evening.
In light and love,
andy


I'm just hanging out resting,
healing is a blessing,
pain is protesting,
ideas of investing,
medications are cresting,
relief is testing,
boundaries of festing,
spirit is professing,
levels of questing,
like a game of guessing,
this injury is ingesting
reflections of my life.

As positivity is molesting,
the path to nesting,
the road ahead is suggesting,
change will bring goodness,
lest I remain the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment