A blog on food, cooking, yoga, running, and life!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Story of the Crash

This is basically the story of the crash, as posted on PT earlier (this was written on Friday night):

I was skiing at Whitefish Mountain Resort.. Skiing a very narrow line, underneath a t-bar that no longer runs (except for races), near chair 2, was going about 35-40 miles an hour when I lost control, caught an edge, and smashed into a tree with my back/pelvis area.

Worst crash I've ever experience. I was finally getting a good feel for my new Dynastar Huge Troubles, 186, tele setup, actually skied several sick chutes earlier that day. Basically just shredding a fast and super narrow surface when I must have hit an ice ball or something, immediately lost control, and knew I was in serious trouble. As soon as I crashed my skis were above me, wrapped around tree, my head below and I was unable to move. Had to yell for help before someone could assist. I had them undo my bindings and then I tried desperately to roll over so that my feet would be below my head. Could not move, realized I was in serious pain and should not attempt to move anymore, waited with my face laid sideways, belly down, in snow until ski patrol arrive.

So beginning with everything that happened immediately after the crash, I just laid in the snow in total agony trying not to panic. I just kept telling myself to breathe. I knew something was terribly wrong. Thoughts ran through my head about wondering if I would ever be able to walk again. I tried to stay connected to my breath and think that whatever was happening was exactly what was supposed to be going on. I took comfort in knowing that help was on the way and that the pain would eventually subside.

I was getting rather light headed with my head below my feet, as well it was difficult to breathe in this position, I made every effort to remain conscious. When ski patrol arrived, I was coherent and able to answer all questions. This gave me comfort in knowing I was mentally aware of what was happening. They then began to assess my situation, beginning with asking my name, if I remembered the crash, how old I was, where I worked, lived, etc.. They repeated the questions before moving further. They went straight for the neck to see if there was any pain. Thankfully I had no pain surrounding the neck. Next they had me attempt to wiggle my toes and fingers, both of which I was able to do. They then checked to see if I could feel tapping on my boots, and tapping on my legs. I know most of the people on Patrol as I have been skiing this mountain for 11 years, so it was nice to be in caring hands of friends. As soon as they tried to move me I was absolutely devastated from the pain coming from my lower back. They were able to stabilize me on the back board and then put me into the "body" bag, as we like to refer to it as. This whole process, from the crash, until this point, took about 30 minutes. So they got me down, by skiing, to the Base Lodge where an ambulance was waiting. By the time I made it there my face was covered in snow, I was really cold, still trying not to panic as I was in severe pain.

They loaded me in the ambulance, another intensely painful process, and immediately I was given morphine which helped a little, as did the very warm blankets. Got to the hospital about 30 minutes after that. I knew all of the people working on the ambulance, I can tell you it helped me immensely to know these people cared for me. Got to hospital, still on a back board and was rushed inside to ER. Had to re-tell the story over and over again. Lots of tests were being done, lots of nurses and doctors there, trying to assess the situation. X-rays were first up, taking a little while, the whole time I was asking to be taken off the board because of how painful it was. I still have not felt the excruciating pain that existed while laying on the board. They were giving me morphine as fast as I could receive it without passing out. Mind you they were not allowing me to have any water, which is what I desperately wanted, and of course the only liquid was the IV they had, also I was hooked up to oxygen.

All I wanted in that moment was to get off of the board. There were still more tests to be done before they would allow that to happen. In I went for the CT scans, which lasted at least 30 minutes, still in agonizing pain. The docs wanted to keep the morphine at bay in order to properly read my bodies reaction to the trauma. Then upon exiting the CT scans, I was still forced to lay on the board until the radiologist could survey the situation.

So then after the radiologists opinion, it was now up to the orthopedic surgeon and the trauma surgeon to decide whether or not surgery was necessary. After extensive review, plus me pleading with the nurses to get something in my mouth to moisten the intense cottonmouth I was experiencing, I was left to wait until an assessment was made. Morphine was still the order of the day, no idea how many milligrams I took, but they kept it coming intravenously. Finally the decision was made, I would not need surgery.

My condition was listed as follows: fractured pelvis on both sides, the right side is fractured where the pelvis meets the hip joint, several fractured vertebrae on my lower back, mainly L1 and L2, with a few other small cracks, a large contusion on my left lung, a small hole on my right lung, and a damaged kidney. Finally after about 3 and 1/2 hours of being on that fucking board, I was placed onto a soft comfortable bed where I have remained since 7:00pm MST, Feb 10th. I am unable to move much of my body, its mainly due to the pain in my lower back and pelvis area. I can move my arms, my head, my neck, my ankles, my lower legs and feet, but aside from that I have very limited movement with my upper legs and any part of my back.

I have a continuous IV flowing, oxygen in my nose, a blood pressure pump on my right arm, some things to keep blood moving around my ankles (some type of pump), a few other things to monitor my respiration in the chest area, a catheter that goes up my penis all the way to my bladder, and lastly a button to call a nurse anytime I need anything. Today was the first day they allowed any fluids to be drank, aside from the IV, and I was on a liquid diet. I am pretty fearful of having to pass any bowel movements as the thought of movement for that seems daunting, to say the least. Until I can sit up with any regularity, I am going to pass on solid foods to keep from actually have to make a bowel movement.

As soon as I got to the bed from the board I was onto the dilaudid with intravenous injections. It is an incredibly euphoric sensation, so much so I can literally feel it take effect as it moves through my arm to my head and then all the way back to my feet and back up. The only feeling I can equate this to is being in the mothers womb, as if any of us remember what that feels like. Today they wanted me to try sitting up, seemingly an impossible task, but with the help of the Physical Therapist and the resident Nurse (both good friends of mine), I was able to sit up with the help of some Norcos, 2 doses at 5mg each, in addition to the Diluadid. The way back down, however, getting to my back was more sharp, piercing pain.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment